Brian and Rosalie


Friends, this is on my heart this morning. It was almost a year ago that we first saw sweet Rosalie’s picture on a waiting children site. My husband at the time had still not bought into the idea of adopting again, as we had just come home a few months previously with two of our children from China. He was also newly open to the idea of adopting a child with Down-syndrome. Then I sent him a text with her picture, and he texted back something positive. I knew he was hooked! After that it was her or no-one! And it took a bit of work to get her file. 

My big concern, though, was her video. It is absolutely precious, and you fall in love with her immediately as you are watching her. At the end, though, when I saw that she was using a walker instead of walking independently, I was really concerned as to what my husband would say. I am not saying that we wouldn’t have gone for a child that couldn’t walk, or that was in a wheelchair. Believe me, there are many precious kiddos who have tugged at my heart who will never walk independently! It was just that in this case I had already asked my husband to take such a big leap of faith, and as we already had special needs kiddos at home, and some just newly home, I wasn’t sure he would be able to stretch just a little farther. Well, I should have known better! He was already committed to loving her and taking care of her no matter what her needs were! 


As it turned out, she had continued to receive therapy and was able to walk independently well before she came home. Children with Down-syndrome often take a bit longer to reach their milestones. But the point is, it would have been ok even if she never reached them. Seeing how much my husband loves Rosalie already warms my heart so much. I’ve seen him be a daddy bear with the other kids, even telling one of them that they would not push his little girl! She loves to watch him cooking in the kitchen, and I will look over and see him on his knees giving her a hug, or from another room hear something sweet that he says to her. 


I’ve said this before, but this was the same man that admittedly prayed when we were trying to conceive twenty something years ago that we would not have a child born with Down-syndrome. Now we can’t imagine not having Rosalie, or her sister Lucie, in our lives. They really are the joy in our days. When the other kids are bickering, or one is having a melt-down, our girls manage to make us smile in the midst of it! God is so good. He always knows!!!

Comments

Popular Posts