Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig!



I have made a decision! I am no longer going to compare myself to other parents, or other families (even other adoptive special needs ones) based on what they are able to do as a family. Though they have 5-10 children, it still might work in their worlds to take each one to ballet lessons, swim lessons, special olympics baseball, or some sort of music lessons. They might have amazing outings with their families, filling up their van with the kids and going off on family adventures to the beach, or on a hike in the woods. “My kids deserve these things, too, I used to think,” and, “It’s not fair for our kids to miss out just because we have a large family and I’d just rather stay home and play!” 

Our summer started out with us signing one dear child up for swim lessons, which he loves, which are great for him, which hubby was going to take him to each time while I stayed home with the rest of the kids four days out of the week, but then had to work for every single one. First lesson went great, although I didn’t get to see much of it while watching the four other littles. Second, a slight issue right before starting lessons, and then the third started at home with a full blown meltdown (not mine yet!) I was determined to do the right thing, though, and take this child to swim lessons, so I loaded all the kids up in Goliath and kept telling myself that surely things would calm down before it was time to go in for lessons! I won’t go into any details, but let’s just say it was a doozy of a melt down, and by the time we got there it was apparent even to him that we needed to go home!

Then again today, feeling guilty about becoming a hermit and keeping us all at home all of the time, with the occasional outing to Costco when hubby is there to go along, I decided to ‘do something fun’! My first thought was, “Let’s go down to the local beach!” Well, of course the kids thought that was a great idea, except things didn’t stay peaceful long enough for this to continue to seem like a good idea a few hours later. So, we made sandwiches, and decided to put the kids back in the Beast and go for a drive to a small town nearby. ‘Where are we going? Why are we going there? When are we going home? Are we still in Washington, or are we in Oregon (x30). Uh, oh! I spilled my chocolate milk all over the floor! My crayons, ahhh, they fell everywhere! Construction, construction, construction. “Mom, is Dad mad at me for spilling my milk?” “Are we still in Washington?”


So, we made the decision to make our long outing a short one, and head to the place we all really wanted to be: Home! There and then I decided that I just have to quit comparing myself and my kids to other families. At least until the next time I get back on social media!!

Comments

Popular Posts