We Are Vessels



“We are vessels, we are vessels, we are vessels.” This was me reminding myself what I had been thinking about earlier in the day, and having to put into practice almost immediately following the return of my six children home from school. You see, I had been going down that pity-party path once again. Starting to tell myself that I, as an adoptive parent, am expendable. That I am going to put blood, sweat and tears into these kids, and that not only will they not appreciate me, but that they will find a way to turn my toil for them into blame. (In case you haven’t guessed I have experience in this area!) But no! First of all, to dwell on all of the possible negative outcomes is a good way to waste a good portion of your life, as well as that of your children's!

Then there is the fact that I didn’t sign up for this in order to get an award from my children for being the best mom out there. Sure everyone loves to feel appreciated, but it’s certainly not a very smart reason to become an adoptive parent. I guess you could say that part of my ‘yes’ to bringing home each child IS about the joy I often experience getting to love each one and see them sometimes transform before my eyes. But even this purpose is bound to leave me feeling empty when things aren’t transpiring the way I had hoped.

Only when I remember that we are truly vessels do I feel a real sense of peace about my role as an adoptive parent, whether things are going well with each of my children or not. I believe that God purposed my husband and I to live life not for ourselves, but for others. And more specifically in our case with these precious children he has entrusted to us. Over time He has transformed us into larger and stronger vessels as we have walked through some of the fires of the last several years. Very little growth can take place when there is little to grow from.

In other words, this is not about us. It’s about them, and about Him. The more we remember this, that we are just vessels, the less time we will spend in the recesses of our existence, but instead focusing with hope on the light that is coming from above.

Comments

Popular Posts